As I watched the wedding I had tears in my eyes at how wonderful it was. See Roo and I decided to go JP (thankfully that has worked out for us) But there was a part of me that wishes that I would have had fuss made but even though I didn't I was still overcome with joy for my brother. See in life we all want someone who will stand beside us. We want someone who is just enough our opposite that they keep us grounded and that they compliment us. Sometime we are not lucky to find it at first (I think I was) but if we are patient then it will come. And for my brother it came in the form of this wonderful girl. I can't brag about her enough in my blogs Mainly because she has stood by us and with us. She has kept him happy and kept him jumping (which is what all good women do) She has put up with him and our crazy family and she fits in perfectly. Through her dreams she has made him realize his and I just can't say how awesome this is. So here is the happy couple. Below. Booboo (yes like the bear) and S-I-L. I'll have a catchy nickname for her soon. I love you both.
Ok, Now enough of the Mushy Mushy and onto the learning of something New. In Texas history we learn about all the great things about our great State. This past week my parent's and I were able to teach Mini about another figure in Texas History and were able to share with her an actual place to make it a little more real.
There have only been two presidents in the history of the United States that were born in Texas. Everyone knows that Lyndon B Johnson who was the 36th president of the United States was born in the small town of Stonewall, Tx. My mom and Memaw took me to see his home when I was younger. It was really cool, even though as a teenager I refused to acknowledge neatness. I have always loved history for several reasons. 1st it is always fascinating when you learn new facts about things. 2nd the people that we study in history are mostly dead so I can learn about them at my own pace because it's not going to change their story and they are obviously not going anywhere. (morbid I know) Anyway. In school I wrote a few papers on our 36th president painting a picture of respected and hardworking individual. Though I still feel like he was a very hard working man. He was a teacher, a navy man, a congressman, senator, vice president, president, husband and a father. In history many things are questioned but he is a Texas man even if it was his wife that really drew the crowd. But this weekend was not about him. So I'll move on.
On October 14,1890 there was another man born in Texas that would hold the presidency. Though for years he honestly couldn't tell you where in Texas he was born he would always refer to his mother on that question we knew, as Texans, that we could claim another in our History that belonged to us at first. This man's family, his parents and brothers, were from Kansas and only lived in Texas for 3 years in which time he was born. David Dwight Eisenhower was born on October 14, 1890 in rent house located in Denison, Tx. And yes I got his birth name correct. His mother later reversed his name so there would not be any confusion on the issue of having two Davids in the Eisenhower house hold. Dwight D. Eisenhower was born and lived in Texas for only 2 years and yet those two years have allowed us to stake the claim that our 34th president was a Texas born man.
Above is the rent home that he was born in. His parents moved to Texas to try and get a fresh start and when his mother went into labor a doctor was called to the house. Though there are no memento's of the family this house still stands as the his first home. They have kept this home in good condition and it is the oldest building located on this street. Though we were quickly told that all buildings on property were at least 100 years old. All the Eisenhower boys were nicked named Ike as an abbreviation of their last name, even I write this I'm still kind of wondering about that.
During his time with the military he once again found himself in the state of his birth where he met and fell in love with his future bride. Though Maime was born in Boone, Iowa she found her way to Texas (I'm telling you there's just something about Texas) where she met the man she would call husband and father to their two children, even though one passed away of fever.The picture to the left was taken Texas at St Mary's College in San Antonio, 1916.
I'm not really sure if this trip down history lane had a great impact on Mini but I know that one day she will be class one day learning about our 34th president and a memory will hit her and she will smile. I hope that she will be able to share a little piece of knowledge with her classmates but if she doesn't I hope she will still appreciate the little bit of random facts that she picked up this past weekend. I know I always enjoy history facts no matter how unimportant they seem. So that was my 4th of July holiday. Later Days.





Tiffany Vent what a great writer you are and also remembering when we went to LBJ's place. We adults think well she want remember this but thank goodness that you did. God bless you. Memaw
ReplyDeleteI wrote a few papers from that trip for school. I remembered because you and mom made it interesting for me. And I am thankful and greatful that ya'll took me. I love you...
ReplyDelete