Hello again my faithful readers, it's that time again where I share a little of what's happening in my neck of the woods. First off here is the Mini and her picture with Santa. Now like all children she filled his ear with all the things she wants. You know things like a doll, a bike, a cell phone, a Itouch and a leappad. Hmmm lets see what I can mark off that list. In order to mark some things off I must weigh some thoughts so I think I may do that here. Let's see her age....Hmmm well she won't be needing a cell phone. I think it's crazy that she wants one at this age but we reasoned with her instead of just putting the Hell in front of the No. We asked her why she needed a cell phone, she said "So I can call Poppa and Gigi and Grandma and Grandpa" "Can you not use our phone?" we ask and she thinks about this..."Yes I could but what about calling you and daddy?" she asks. We point out that everyone she needs to call usually is around her and that everyone she is with always has a cell on their person so let's wait just a bit. P.S. this has been on her list since last year. I don't think we've visited the phone issue enough. Ok now then let's go to the Itouch. "Mini why do you need an Itouch?"
"So I can listen to music and play games." hmmm. This is another moment that we must once again reason with our daughter. "But you have a computer that you can play games and you have a Zune that has music." Lucky for me this one is easily crossed off her list. Now she wanted a Nook we considered this since she is learning to read and seems to be enjoying that but she of course fixed that issue when she saw the newest device from LeapFrog. The Leappad Tablet. So this one is not so easily crossed off the list. Now for those of you that are parents with young children you may know that Christmas time is one of the worst times to have to search for the hottest toy. You can look and look and you still may not find it. Even going to the actual company that makes it may cause you to shed a few tears. But hopefully we can avoid that. I'll let you know in the next day or so on how that part of the list is going.
Since I am on the subject of Mini's wish list I would also like to point out that kids now are very technology savy. Most can work our new phones better then we can and they are not afraid to do this. But with this knowledge comes the downfall. Because all of their toys are becoming high tech they are becoming more disconnected with the outside world in ways and as a parent this scares me a little. I want her to know that it's really ok to go out into the sun, that she really won't burst into flames. We need to get back to toys that take them out of the house. So I've got my additions to her wish list.
I heard today that the average family spends $200 on presents for each child. I know, I'll let the shock wear off.......
Better? ok, so yea $200 well I can tell you from experience that $200 is way off. I mean if you have an only child then you are bound to spend more then that just on electronics alone. Then you have the regular toys that you want to get them so they are not so invovled looking at a small screen. By this time you're up to at least $275 or $375 then if your like the rest of world you are going to buy them clothes and depending on where you shop that's going to run you a bit of cash too. So far your childs stuff, if liquidated, is worth about $425 or more. Then you tack on the rest of the presents. See normally I don't think of things like this because, well being on a fixed or budgeted income you don't want to actually put a price on Christmas, but if you got right down to it our kids make out like bandits and they don't always seem to understand just how greatful they are. Then again when we were kids we never really understood just how good we were making out. Even on the poorest Christmas of one's life and believe me, we all have one whether we were aware of it or not, a child is going to bank about $500 worth of stuff from all angles.
Right now I'm not seeing the Holly Jolly in it seeing as how Mini as been coping an attitude about why she has to strike things from her list. Then to add to it we will have our new bundle next year. No wonder people go into debt at the end of the year. But with all the knowledge that I am gaining about this finicial side of Christmas (I think I need to go into business during this time) I am also gaining an insight to things I didn't realize as a child. Sure not every Christmas was packed with big ticket items but it was packed with love from my family. My parents worked hard so that we would always have the best Christmas, and of course we did. I never realized until Mini all the things parents will do to keep their children from knowing if they were in bad shape. And because of this new knowledge I am more greatful because my family always did have a great holiday. I can only hope that even as I frantically search for that one impossible toy or bitch about the actual cost of Christmas that Mini will never know just what we went through to give her everything. That is something she will learn when she is older and has children of her own. But it is a lesson that I am glad to say (even though it sucks) that I have learned and that Roo and I are making the best of.
So see people you are not alone in the crazyness. Mini is not alone in the having to scratch stuff off her list. And I am not alone in the pains that will begin to feel as I try to pay those bills come the first of the year. Cause lord knows we are all gonna have them. No mater what Christmas means to you or your wallet it does mean more to our kids and so long as we keep them with the idea that it is really about family and not about the loot I think they may actually survive to adult hood. Well goodnight my faithful readers.
No comments:
Post a Comment